Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Fondant and Gum Paste Flowers

I haven't posted during this class, so you get everything at once. I have been working on covering a cake in fondant and making flowers out of gum paste. They don't taste very good, but they look pretty. My kids have actually eaten every flower I have brought home and they have no complaints on taste, of course they also eat cubes of butter.

I have had so much fun this class. The flowers are so much fun to make and although I would never eat them off of a cake, it is somehow still awesome that they are edible. I don't guarantee a very professional look because I am still learning, but I would love to make a cake for someone some day. A daisy.

A carnation.


On my final cake, I did daisies with two and three layers and curled the edges more to give them more of a water lily sort of feel. I don't know if you can tell in the picture, but I bought edible glitter called pearl dust and dusted my flowers on the cake with them. The slight sparkle looks really cool against the black and white setting of the rest of the cake. Covering the cake in fondant took two tries, but I think it turned out pretty well. I put a layer of buttercream frosting with raspberry flavoring between my cake layers, too. Not too bad, I think.

1 comment:

Amanda Fleming said...

I just jumped over here to see if you ad done nything recently. How cute are those flowers! You're too clever. :)