Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cake Attempt #2

So this is cake attempt #2 from last week. It has been really busy around here so I am just getting around to posting. Ok, this time I did have shortening so I greased and floured the pans. However, I also used these new Bake Even strips that is supposed to help your cake rise more and come out with a more even top, instead of peaking like they usually do. Apparently I got them a little too wet and my cake had generally the same outcome, a little better perhaps, than the last time. I also decided to try a new filling. This is a chocolate buttercream filling. You start by making a white sauce, but instead of milk I used half-n-half. Then you add like 5 egg yolks and continue to cook. Then you bring it off the heat and add chocolate chips and vanilla. Divine! (as Charise would say!) The only problem turned out to be that didn't quite make it thick enough. By the time I got to class, filling was bulging out the sides of my cake threatening to overflow at any moment, despite my dam of icing around it. But I looked around the room and everyone else who had done filling seemed to have the same problem, so I didn't feel as bad.
I used one of the techniques we learned that night to cover up the sides so you couldn't tell it was about to explode in the center. I got a single complaint later that it had too much frosting around the sides. All I can say to that is...It's free cake! Take you complaint and shove it!...Sam!
Anyway, we mostly worked on writing and star-tips. I thought my star-tips had always been quite good, but I have to say I saw a vast improvement with them from the beginning of the class to the end. I decided on a Halloween cake because my mom might make one with me for her ward and I thought I'd better practice.
What do you think? I think I could maybe to a dark chocolate frosting, it turns out almost black. Then I could do grass on the bottom and maybe some stars or a moon. Hmm...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I like it a lot! How did you such small lines? Must be a specific icing tip, right? I like the idea of doing a darker background and adding grass - very creative! I have a 6" cake round I use for little personal cakes that has to be greased before hand. I usually trace and cut out a piece of wax paper exactly the size of the bottom, then grease the pan and put that wax paper on top of the greased bottom. Then grease the top of the wax paper and sides, flour everything and pour batter on top...comes out clean! Or if you're using a box mix, you can use a bit of the dry mix instead of flour...sometimes that works better. You are such a crafty girl! I can't wait to see your next attempt! xoxo